Saturday, December 25, 2010

Warm Wishes To All

Magnet # 425:  The Nativity Photo


Material:  Plastic


Purchased By:  Mom & Dad

Once again, it's Christmas and I hope you're all having a wonderful day!  I've had a very nice day with my family and there's even a chance of snow in the forecast.  I have to admit, I think it's unlikely, but it could happen.  Still, given that I'm not a big fan of cold weather, I'm okay with a snow-free Christmas.  If I really wanted a white Christmas, I could always visit someplace like Montana, Michigan, or Maine this time of year, but as I tend to say, nobody moves to the Deep South because they like really cold weather.  And while this unexpected December 25th snowfall has no doubt enchanted many a child, it has made holiday travel difficult and even dangerous around the region, as cities like Atlanta, Louisville, and Nashville, that can go for years without any snow at all, have all gotten some.  I certainly hope those that find themselves having to deal with it safe passage.  Christmas is a particularly bad time to have an accident or mishap.  As for me, I'm staying in with my family throughout the day.  There's great food to be had, good company, and the chance to have a look at all of the goodies I found under the Christmas tree, so I'll stay put.  However, I'm pretty sure I'll want to venture out tomorrow, as I look forward to shopping on December 26th all year long.  I hope by then the cold weather will have passed on.

This magnet might look a little odd or out of focus, but it's not.  It's actually one of a set of five 3-D magnets I got last year from my parents.  While it's pretty cool to see in person, I'm not quite sure if this photo does it justice, but at least you get the idea of what it should look like.  They picked this up during a trip to New York City, where the figures featured on the magnet have been a part of the Metropolitan Museum of Fine Art Christmas exhibition for over half a century.  It features a twenty foot blue spruce Christmas tree and Neapolitan Baroque Creche figures that were made of finely carved wood, painted with terracotta, and draped in exquisite fabrics by talented sculptors in eighteenth-century Naples, Italy.  These figures must be pretty sizable, as they really fill out the rather large tree, at least from the images I've seen.  This spectacle was made possible through the work of Lorretta Hines Howard, an artist who began collecting the figures as far back as 1925.  She soon conceived the notion of combining elaborate Roman Catholic Nativity scenes with the more Protestant tradition of decorated Christmas trees.  For decades, she traveled, collecting the sculptures as she went until she was able to present over 200 creche figures to the Metropolitan Museum of Fine Art.  They were first displayed to the public in 1957.  And for the rest of her life, Howard supervised as the installation went up.  The tradition is now carried on by her daughter and granddaughter, and has been visited by millions of thrilled onlookers from all over the world.  And while I've been to the Museum once, it was not during the Holiday season - in fact, it was in early January, after the display had no doubt just come down.  But, who knows, maybe I'll glimpse it in all of its glory one of these days.  New York City is said to be one of the best places to spend Christmas, as the city is packed with all sorts of truly unique Holiday offerings, and this exhibition has got to be one of the best, even by the Big Apple's standards.  So, obviously, I'd like to visit during the Holiday season, even just one time.  Of course, they also probably tend to have show there at this time of year.  So, for now, I'll be content with staying in a frost-free part of the South, surrounded by my family.  And I hope you're lucky enough to say the same on this special day, or to have some snow on your ground, if that makes you happy.  Stay warm, stay safe, and have a fantastic Christmas with those you love!

2 comments:

  1. Good thing you didn't go to NY City this Christmas because the weather caused major travel problems. But if you don't mind staying an extra day or two it might have been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, hopefully if I ever visit, it will be during a milder winter.

    ReplyDelete