Wednesday, December 1, 2010

'Tis the Season

Magnet # 407:  Beamer the Bronner Star


Material:  Porcelain


Purchased By:  Mom & Dad

Once again, the Chistmas and Holiday season is upon us!  I'm always happy to reach this time of the year, and even though I don't have as many Yule-themed magnets as I do creepy ones, I'll try to post a magnet that ties into the season every so often throughout the month.  And I thought this one would be great to start off the festvities.  Little did I know last year when I mentioned in a post last year how much I'd like to have a magnet from Bronner's Christmas Wonderland in Frankenmuth, Michigan that my parents had already bought one for me.  It was waiting under the tree for me on Christmas morning.  The store's mascot, Beamer the Christmas Star, is featured on it.  Beamer was intoduced in 1999 and has become a beloved part of the store's identity and it's easy to see why - he's just so friendly and happy!  And even though I have this adorable souvenir from the store, I'd still like to make it up there sometime to take in all of its Christmas merchandise for myself.  I think I'd have a blast there, no matter what time of year I visit.

I've already started indulging in one of my favorite Christmas-themed activites - watching made-for-television Holiday films.  They're aired pretty frequently on channels like ABC Family, Lifetime, and the Hallmark Channel has already begun showing theirs.  And not only do I get to see favorites from years past, there are always new ones debuting throughout the season.  My Mom and I both really liked Call Me Mrs. Miracle, which featured Doris Roberts in the title role and Jewel Staite, who was just as likeable here as when she appeared in Firefly and Serenity.  Our only complaint was the usually great Lauren Holly, who was just too over the top as a somewhat villainous employer.  But it was still a cute story and I look forward to catching reruns of it in the future.  We also enjoyed watching Moonlight and Mistletoe, All I Want for Christmas, and A Season for Miracles together.  Even though some might scoff at these somewhat cheesy productions, to me they're like comfort food for the Holiday season, minus the calories.  And they almost always seem to include several of the same details - couples falling in love, families being reunited, precocious children helping their adult figures find a romantic partner, snow falling where it has no right to snow - coastal Florida, southern California, Mt. Kilauea - you get the idea.  And even though I may have seen come of these countless times, I always look forward to watching them again.  I also like to compile my own Christmas themed television show marathon using single episodes from my collection of T.V. DVDs.  Monk may have the most of any show I own, with four in all, including one where the main character is accused of shooting Santa Claus and has to clear his name.  And I always enjoy watching Holiday episodes of The O.C. - its creator, Josh Schwartz, introduced Chrismukkuh, the combination of Christmas and Hanukkah, and it's fun to watch the characters celebrate this quirky holiday.  He also helped develop Chuck and it has a couple of great Holiday shows, as does Boston Legal.  Funny enough, both combine the Yule season with firearms, with somewhat ridiculous results.  I also have a couple of shows with more traditional Christmas episodes, like Gilmore Girls and Desperate Housewives.  But it can be fun when fantasy and science fiction shows do their take on the Holidays, albeit with a unique twist.  Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Roswell, and Supernatural each have one episode that fits that bill, and I really like them all.  And the David Tennant Dr. Who years feature three great Christmas-themed shows - I may have to see if I can get those from the library.  I also like to mix my shows around when I take in my Holiday themed marathon - I find that jumping from one genre to another keeps it interesting.  If you collect T.V. on DVD as I do, you might find this is a fun way to get into a festive mood.

With Christmas getting closer and closer, this is the time to get to work decorating and buying and sending off all of your Christmas presents.  Just don't forget to take time to enjoy this special season - drive around and have look at the lights, bake up some wintry treats, or listen to some Holiday music.  You might even want to take a trip somewhere that's decked out for the season.  I really love doing that, but I'm not sure if I'm going to this year.  Whatever you do, don't let this month pass without taking advantage of some of the Holiday magic - come January, you'll probably be glad you did, and have some great new Christmas memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment