Friday, December 31, 2010

Another Year Over

Magnet # 430:  Millennium, New Zealand


Material:  Plastic, Acrylic


Purchased By:  Me

Happy New Year, everyone!  Is it just me, or did this year fly by faster than usual?  It seems I was just commenting about the end of 2009 on here, but I guess that was much further back than it feels like.

Sure, this magnet is now eleven years past its optimum posting date, but it still has a fact worth mentioning - that every year, New Zealand is the first major country to welcome the New Year.  It's pretty much zero hour as far as the time zones go.  From there, the shift sweeps across the globe, from Australia to Asia to Africa and Europe.  And yes, those of us in North and South America are some of the last in the world to greet the New Year.  I have yet to make it to New Zealand, or even that part of the world, but I'd really like to see it for myself someday, perhaps with nearby Australia.  Even more incredibly, my parents have never made it to either nation, but I know it's on their list of places to see.  Who knows, maybe we'll all make it there together in the future, but I'm sure it won't be in 2011.  And if I ever make it there, this time of year would be great, as they're experiencing Summer and I'm no fan of Winter, so I'd love getting away from the cold weather for awhile.  So who knows, I might be able to be among the first to welcome the New Year in New Zealand if I'm lucky.

As one year ends, it's always seems to be a good time to evaluate our actions throughout it and consider what plans we have for the next one.  I have to admit, I'm certainly proud of the efforts I've made on here in 2010.  With this post, I'll have managed 300 total for the year, a number I never really thought I could achieve.  This has been the first full year I've put into this magnet blog, and I'm proud that I've followed through on it.  I've also had a very active year as a traveler - I managed to make my way to eighteen states in all, which may be a personal record.  I also toured ten state capitols, which is definitely the most I've seen in a year - in fact, that total may be hard to ever beat.  And, goodness, have I amassed the magnets in 2010 - between my own findings and those others have given me, I've easily passed the 700 mark with my collection, and I think that's probably a conservative estimate.  As this year passed, I had my doubts as to whether I'd even have enough magnets to keep it up into 2011, or if I'd be able to find any new events to discuss, as I don't really want to revisit many of those I've already mentioned.  I now realize that shouldn't be a problem.  In fact, the calendar in which I keep track of my future posts is almost packed for the first half of the year.  But I also have to be honest with myself and admit that I neglected my artwork to make time for this blog.  At the beginning of the year, I made a goal to do 250 hours of work on my art, and I've fallen pretty short of that.  So I think I may try to post a little less on here in 2011 to make more time for producing art.  Overall, I don't think it will be very noticeable.  This year, I've averaged 25 posts a month and I think that might drop to 20 for the next one.  And yet, as I take a look at some of the coming months, I've already planned 23 or 24 posts, so who knows what will happen.  But I may even go a couple of days without a post once or twice a month, so just be warned.  While I really enjoy this blog and have no intention of giving it up in 2011, I may have to give it a little less attention.  And to those of you who have supported me on here, thanks, and I wish you the best in this coming year, whatever your goals, plans, or resolutions may be.  Here's another chance for us to work hard to get where we want to be in life, and I hope we all make the best of it!

4 comments:

  1. Well, I for one have enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to this year's posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I'm looking forward to working on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a full year of memorable posts. Best wishes in 2011!

    ReplyDelete