Monday, September 20, 2010

Don't Stop Believin'

Magnet # 346: Dianna Agron and Lea Michele as Quinn Fabray and Rachel Berry Photo

Material: Plastic

Purchased By: Me

Tomorrow, one of the best-received new shows of last year returns for its second season - Glee, the Fox hit about an Ohio high school show choir. It features a cast full of misfits and underdogs joining together and singing as they deal with life's troubles. There's a good amount of humor on the show, and it has an overall positive feeling that makes watching it pretty enjoyable.

Glee is another show I hadn't planned discussing on here, but then I found a set of eight magnets from the show earlier this month. They had originally started at eight bucks, which I would have never paid, but had been reduced to only two. Better yet, they rang up at just under a dollar at the register! Really, I couldn't pass up on a deal that good. When I first heard about the show, I wasn't very interested. With a few exceptions, I don't tend to like musicals. I don't know what it is - maybe when everyone starts singing and dancing in unison, it's hard for me to suspend my disbelief. I guess it's easier for me to enjoy musicals without big dance number involving lots of characters. Nonetheless, when comedienne Jane Lynch was added to the cast, the producers piqued my interest. She's proven in films like Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, and The 40-Year-Old Virgin that, with her dry wit and sarcastic humor, she's one of the best character actors around. Still, I didn't catch the show when it premiered and ended up stumbling upon it while channel surfing. I found out that it's a pretty fun show to watch. There's plenty of colorful characters, intrigue, and over-the-top scenarios to keep it interesting. And, yes, on occasion, I'll get tired with the musical numbers and change channels, but I tend to come back. Unfortunately, this habit and my late start with the show mean that I really haven't seen all of it, but I manage anyway. And some of the songs they've sung have been really great - in particular, I've liked seeing their take on '80s songs, like Journey's "Don't Stop Believin,'" which was performed at two critical moments in the show's development. They have also featured some fantastic guests stars. My favorite was the adorable Kristen Chenoweth, who appeared for a couple of episodes as a former glee club member returning to finish high school after ruining her life. I loved her here, I loved her on the now-canceled Pushing Daisies, for which she won an Emmy, and I hope to see her back on Glee sometime. Neil Patrick Harris also did a great job playing an old rival of the glee club's director, as did Olivia Newton-John when she appeared as a somewhat twisted version of herself. Overall, this first season has been a fun ride, and I'm hoping the next one will be even better.

One of the most interesting twists that's promised this year is two former rivals, Jane Lynch's cheerleading coach Sue Sylvester and glee club director Will Schuester, joining forces against a new threat, the head football coach. They've been great hurling insults at each other and I'm curious to see how their dynamics will change when they become allies. Unfortunately, I also have heard there will be less '80s songs this time. That's a shame - I really like the fast-paced, upbeat music of that decade. But I can always keep channel surfing during musical numbers. Still, I'll be dropping in to see just what the Glee kids and their teachers are up to this season - with its entertaining characters and their complicated lives, it's definitely worth tuning into!

No comments:

Post a Comment