Sunday, August 15, 2010

Take It Easy

Magnet # 318: Orange Beach Sandal

Material: Resin

Purchased By: Mom & Dad

Lie back and take a break, everyone! Considering it's National Relaxation Day, you're just keeping in line with the nature of the day. I thought I'd post this tranquil and somewhat idyllic magnet, as so many people find the beach to be a great place to relax. If you have one nearby and want an excuse to take advantage of it, here's your chance. I must confess, however, that I have never really been a big fan of the beach. I'm not sure just why, though. Maybe it's just too relaxing for me. I guess if I venture out, I'd rather head to a museum or historical site of some kind. I tend to like to be intellectually engaged and I guess the beach isn't the best place to do that. Growing up, when I went to the beach with my family, my Dad usually sat at the concession stand reading a book and I envied him as I swam in the waves or sat on the sand. And as an adult, I really don't venture out to the beach unless I'm with someone who wants to go. I suppose if I want to relax, I tend to stay home and watch a movie. So there you have it, a couple of ways to take it easy today, and I'm sure there are plenty more.

I have to admit, I have not had the most relaxing time for the past week, but it's certainly been fun. I flew up to New England for a nine day vacation and managed to hit six states in all while I was there. I flew into Hartford, Connecticut where I met up with my friend Catherine and we traveled around together before I rented a car to head north and east on my own. I ended up in Portland, Maine where I flew out of earlier today. And no, spending the day at airports has not been very relaxing - particularly given I spent part of it at La Guardia in New York, which is infamous for its crowded terminals and bus rides out to some of the planes. But I guess that's a small price to pay for all of the fun I've had over the past week. I have seen so many places, tried so many great foods, met so many nice people, and bought so many magnets that it almost makes my head spin. And yes, I'll be sure to give more in-depth recaps of my trip in the future. Even if it wasn't relaxing and I'm pretty exhausted now, I don't think there's any better way I could have spent the week.

Who knows, maybe someday when I'm older I'll mellow out and veg on the beach when I take a vacation. But for now, I guess I just want to soak in everything I can possibly manage - and get lots of magnets while I'm at it. And while I've visited Alabama's Orange Beach, which is featured on this magnet, over the years, the majority of the time I've spent there has been at the nearby outlet malls in Foley. I guess for much of my life, when I've ventured out, I've wanted to be on the move. And I'm sure I'll head out on another trip sometime soon, but I think for the weeks to come, I'm going to follow in the spirit of this day and take it easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment