Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Independent Woman

Magnet # 325:  Downtown Providence, Rhode Island Photo

Material:  Metal, Paper Mylar Shell

Purchased By:  Me

After I was done getting my rental care in Hartford, I headed off toward Providence, Rhode Island on my own. It was late in the day, but I managed to make it to Ocean State Souvenirs in Warwick before they closed and got a few magnets. Warwick is the second largest city in the state, just outside of Providence, and I spent the night there at the Best Western Airport Inn. They had a great staff and when I asked them for dinner recommendations, they told me about a nearby restaurant, Chelo's Hometown Bar & Grill, a local chain of restaurants similar to TGI Friday's and even gave me a coupon for a free dessert there. It was very busy, even though it was a weeknight and I ordered one of their seasonal specials - Lobster Macaroni n' Cheese. It was a delicious mix of penne and cheeses covered in lobster pieces and baked with cracker crumbs on top. Even though I couldn't finish it all off, I managed to eat all of the lobster. And for my free dessert, I chose a slice of cheesecake, topped with butterscotch and caramel sauces - again, it was wonderful. That was one of the better meals on my trip. If you're ever able to try this New England chain out, definitely give stop by, especially if you can snag a free coupon for dessert.

The next day, I headed up to Providence, where I had made a reservation to tour the State House.  It was a very attractive building and was very interesting to see, even if the Senate Chambers were closed for a meeting.  I had thought they had a gift shop, but our guide told me that wasn't the case and suggested I try the Roger Williams National Memorial, which was just down the hill.  I had actually already planned on going, so I headed over to take a look at the grounds and watch a program about Williams, the founder of Providence, himself.  In fact, a statue based on him stands atop the dome of the State House and is called the Independent Man.  The memorial was a nice place with a very friendly staff, but they didn't have much in the way of Providence souvenirs, so a ranger suggested I try an Amtrack station that was between there and the State House.  That was a great recommendation - they had a nice selection of magnets, including this one.  After I finished up there, I walked over to the Providence River to have a look at the Waterplace Park, which is supposed to be incredible when Water Fire events are going on there at nights.  By then, it was time for me to head on my way to my next stop .  I may have only had a morning to spend in Providence, but I was fortunately able to check out some of its highlights and also enjoy my time in its neighbor, Warwick.  They're both great places and perhaps some day I'll be there again.

2 comments:

  1. I liked today's title, "Independent Woman". It does sound like you are rather independent visiting New England on your own

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it is funny that the first day on my own during the trip, I was in a town known for its Independent Man. And I'm usually pretty independent, whether at home or on a trip.

    ReplyDelete