Sunday, August 1, 2010

Happy Birthday To Me

Magnet # 307: Leo Mural

Material: Metal, Paper, Mylar Shell

Purchased By: Mom & Dad

Considering it's August 1st, that means I've been doing this blog for an entire year now - I guess it passed by a little quicker than I realized! I've also got my own birthday to celebrate, as I am a Leo. And if you haven't read it before, I'd rather not share the exact date of my birthday up here, as I don't want to put too much personal info about myself on the Internet. But I have double to celebrate this year, and I'm proud of myself for having kept up with this blog for so long. I'm also pleased with how many posts I've managed to get up over the last year. I never intended to post every day, but I managed to only skip 50 days - not bad.

So, yes, I am a Leo, but I've never been completely sure how accurate that sign is for me. Astrology dates back over 2,000 years, all the way to ancient Babylon, where what was perceived as the sky's rotation was divided into twelve equal zones. Each consisted of a particular constellation that resembled objects on Earth, from scorpions to fish to goats and scales. For a time, the Babylonian calendar was even divided into twelve months according to which sign was at its height. Their calendar began when the Sun was at vernal equinox, when the Sun was positioned in the constellation of Aries, so Aries became the first astrological sign, a title it still holds today. The rationale behind astrology has changed very little since those times, with the exception of the 2nd century AD, when the Roman scientist Ptolemy rationalized and established the functions of the signs of the zodiac as well as the planets. With time, characteristics have been assigned to individuals born when the Sun is in a particular sign of the Zodiac. According to astronomy, Leos are very charismatic and outgoing - perhaps the most extroverted of any sign. They are born leaders who are generous, honest, creative, faithful and enthusiastic. On the negative side, they can be bossy, intolerant, and interfering. They're said to like living lavishly, having drama and lots of pageantry while they hate being frugal and living too safely. Oh, and they tend to like the colors gold and orange best. That really doesn't describe me at all. I am incredibly introverted and do not like bossing others around, or meddling in their lives. And I truly despise drama - to me a dull life is a blessing, not a curse. Also, I like to be careful with my money and try not to take too many risks with my safety. But I do consider myself to be creative - hey I've done this blog - and loyal. And I'm very honest - lying makes me very uncomfortable. So I guess my sign does suit me with a few traits. However, orange is easily my least favorite color - I like purple best. So there you have it, I'm hardly a stereotypical Leo. Oddly enough, I've had plenty of friends over the years who are also Leos - wonder what that means.

Well, this first year has certainly been fun and informative, and I'm looking forward to the coming one. I'm not sure if I'll always be able to keep up this pace, considering it makes it hard for me to indulge in my other hobbies, but I doubt I'll quit anytime soon. Thanks to those of you who've kept up with my ramblings all this time - you keep reading 'em, and I'll keep writing 'em!

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I enjoy reading your blog. I check it each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! One year quite a milestone. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary & Happy Happy Birthday soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the well wishes!

    ReplyDelete