Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Death By Chocolate

Magnet # 285: Milka Advertisement

Material: Acrylic

Purchased By: Elke

Chocoholics of the world, get ready! Tomorrow is Chocolate Day, and let's face it, that makes it one of the most important events of the year. This is our excuse to have chocolate for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even snacks and justify that it's all part of the celebration. If you aren't already stocked up in anticipation of this important event, better stop by the store soon.

How did so much of the human civilization go for so long without chocolate?  While the first known use of this food dates all the way back to about 1100 BC, its use was limited to only civilizations in South America, Central America, and Mexico for thousands of years.  The Aztecs were particularly fond of the cacao beans and believed that they had been brought to Earth from paradise by a prophet who had grown them in his garden.  By eating them, he had gained almost godlike knowledge.  They ground the beans and made them into a rich drink, as many other cultures did, and even used them as a form of money.  When Hernando Cortes and his men finally arrived in the New World, they realized how amazing this beverage was and introduced the beans in their homeland of Spanish in 1528.  Within a century, Italy had discovered the bean, which continued to spread to other European nations.  The popularity of the bean prompted the Spanish to enslave the natives to cultivate more, but even then only the upper class citizens of the nation could afford to purchase it.  But in England, this was not a problem and cocoa had become London's most fashionable beverage by the early 1700s.  In 1847, one of the most important developments in the history of chocolate occurred when the process to mold it into solid form was discovered by Joseph Fry & Son.  Finally, chocolate bars were available to the public.  And the Industrial Revolution made the widespread creation and distribution of the treat possible.  Time has only made more varieties and qualities of chocolate possible and it can range from an inexpensive snack to a stunning work of art.

The three main types of chocolate available nowadays are milk, dark, and white.  Personally, white is my favorite, but I also enjoy milk.  Of course, dark, the healthiest of the three varieties, is my least favorite.  I've never tried Milka, the brand featured on this magnet, but I'd be happy to do so if I ever get the chance.  I admit, I'm a bit of a chocolate snob and I pass on stuff like Hershey's Kisses and candy bars.  What can I say, I find them to be a little waxy.  But I do like the new Hershey Bliss chocolate, which is a little like another favorite of mine, Dove.  Both are rich, smooth, and creamy and I love indulging on them.  I also like Cadbury, especially their Easter varieties, Ghirardelli, Lindt, and Choxie, the Target brand of nice chocolates.  And if I'm lucky enough to score an expensive, imported brand like Godiva or Neuhaus, that makes me pretty happy.  And what's my trick to having access to good chocolate most of the time?  I buy them when they're on sale, particularly after holidays like Christmas and Valentine's Day, and either freeze or refrigerate them.  When I'm ready to indulge, I let the package thaw out overnight and then dive in the next day.  I've never had any issues with the candy going bad.  What can I say, I love chocolate and I like to save on it whenever possible.  But there is one event here in Savannah I keep wanting to splurge on - the Chocoholic Frolic, an annual charity gala that raises money by serving chocolate treats from all sorts of eateries around town.  It's a little pricey, and I guess I just haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.  Maybe this October.  But I certainly know I'll be getting plenty of chocolate fixes before then.  And if you share my enthusiasm, don't miss out on the opportunity to celebrate Chocolate Day as it was intended - grab a package of your favorites and join in!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! A day made for the likes of me. If I had my way the well known expression would be 'a choclate a day keeps the doctor away'. Celebrate today and every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like great advice to me!

    ReplyDelete