Sunday, March 14, 2010

When Time Kills

Magnet # 192: National Aquarium Frog

Material: Metal

Purchased By: Me

Okay, time might not actually kill anyone, as I've implied in my gripping title, but it could be hazardous to your health. As we all know, this is the day we spring forward and return to Daylight saving time. So we're all losing an hour of sleep, and that is really going to mess with some of us. And then, on Monday, we'll all go back to work with sleep deprived drivers on the road. Some studies claim that automobile accidents spike a few days after the time change. Oddly enough, others hold that accidents actually decrease. I just don't know how that can be the case. It doesn't make sense. Another study showed that accidents in the workplace go up on the Monday following Daylight saving time, and holds that, on average, people are sleep deficient by 40 minutes after the clocks spring forward. While that might not be such a big deal on occasion, when every driver on the road is affected by the change, the possibilities for accidents are much greater. Some law firms even advertise specifically for Daylight saving time-related injuries. And a serious train wreck occurred in France that killed two and injured many more that was said to be caused by not paying attention to Daylight saving time change. Overall, though some claim this event actually reduces accidents, I think all of these studies and occurrences prove that is unlikely. Daylight saving time probably won't get any of use into accidents, but it's best to be a bit more cautious over the next few days.

I thought this magnet is pretty appropriate for this post, as the little frog is actually attached to the leaves on a spring, so it can spring forward a bit. I must admit, I am glad that Spring is coming and I'm looking forward to lost more sunshine. I guess Daylight saving time isn't so bad after our bodies have made the transition. It's just getting thorough these next few days that I'm not looking forward to. But I'd much rather loose an hour and gain Spring than loose an hour before Fall. If had had to deal with sleep deprivation and the coming of Winter, I don't think I could take it. But yay - Spring is on its way, and I'm ready to put this particularly cold winter behind me. So rest up today, folks - take a nap, go to bed early, whatever works for you. I'm giving you a free pass to take it easy and make sure losing an hour of sleep doesn't impair your driving ability. Stay safe, and have a good week.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the free pass. I used it by sleeping in till 10 AM on Sun and this has been the best transition I've ever made to the "Summer time". Think I might try it again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear it worked for you - I think I might try that next year.

    ReplyDelete