Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mega Fun at MegaCon

Magnet # 195:  Hard Rock Cafe Orlando Live Guitar

Material:  Metal

Purchased By:  Me

Well, I got out of town this past weekend and headed down to Orlando, Florida for MegaCon, a comic book and fantasy art convention they hold down there every year. I stayed with my friends Lindsay and Danny and we had a great time.  Lindsay had a table in Artist's Alley, so we both helped her look after it.  I learned plenty and had a fun time just hanging out with them.  It was also fun to see other artists I've gotten to know over the years, like Larry Elmore, Tammy Pryce, Elvin Hernandez, and Jasmine Becket-Griffith.  On Friday night, we went to a party at painter Paul Vincenti's house.  He is as nice a host as he is a talented artist, and we had a pretty good time there.

We walked over to Universal's City Walk from our hotel on Saturday night and checked out all of the bright lights and throngs of fellow tourists.  If you've never heard of it before, it's a collection of restaurants, shops, and clubs that is free to go to.  Basically, it's Universal's version of Downtown Disney, which I've mentioned on here before.  We ended up having dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe, which was a great choice.  So many times, theme restaurants don't have good food, but theirs is great.  I had a Cobb salad which was very tasty.  And, of course, the music was every bit as good as the food.  I was constantly saying how much I liked the song they were playing.  This particular location of the Hard Rock Cafe is actually the largest of all of them and it's designed to look like the Coliseum in Rome.  There's a nearby Hard Rock Live venue that can accommodate 3,000 people.  The restaurant has multiple levels and more items of rock n' roll memorabilia than any other location.  Its bar features a painted dome and a pink cadillac that revolves above the patrons - very cool.  I guess I would have wandered around a bit more if I'd known what a special Hard Rock Cafe this one is.  They have everyone leave through the gift store - pretty smart marketing move.  Obviously, it worked with me.  If you're ever able to check this place out, definitely give it a try.  We also had fun in the other parts of City Walk, and I even found a magnet kiosk.  But the magnets were very expensive so I only let myself buy one.  I must say, the prices for magnets at Downtown Disney were much more reasonable.  But I'm still glad we checked out all that City Walk had to offer, even if my foot hurt for a couple of days from all of the walking.

All in all, it was a great time - except for the car trouble - but that's a story I don't really want to get into here. I am definitely looking forward to heading back to MegaCon again next year. I think Lindsay and I will be sharing a booth and hawking our wares, so I'd better start producing more artwork. It's been tough balancing that with this blog, but I'm going to try to keep going with each one the best I can.  Well, I've got less than a year to produce some new pieces for MegaCon - wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Didn't realize that Hard Rock was the biggest either, and I was totally oblivious to the design features you mentioned. But I do have a nice keepsake glass from my fruity drink. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, good luck making new art pieces. One year goes by pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you and your pink girly drink and Linz with her manly one sure cracked me up.

    Thanks - I'm sure I'll need it!

    ReplyDelete