Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Bicentennial of Sorts

Magnet # 200:  Helen Teddy Bear and Dachshund

Material:  Resin

Purchased By:  Lindsay

Looks like I've reached another milestone with this blog. Yep, I'm now up to 200 magnets. Once again, the last hundred posts seem to have gone by pretty quickly. I also thought that, as with my 100th post, I'd feature another personal favorite today. When I saw this one during our trip up to Helen, I thought it was completely adorable, really one of the cutest I'd ever seen. I mean, how do you top a teddy bear and wiener dog dressed up in Lederhosen for a Volksmarch! I'm not sure if that's possible. I saw this magnet in one of the first stores we visited in Helen, but that one was a little flawed, so I waited to get it until I found this one, which is absolutely perfect, in another one. Lindsay was sweet and bought it as part of my Christmas present - really, I couldn't have asked for anything better.

As much as I enjoy getting magnets as gifts and trading with other collectors for them - after all, they expand my collection in ways I could never manage myself - there is something great about going on the hunt for my own magnets. In the best of circumstances, I can find places like I did in Annapolis, Gatlinburg, and Hilton Head Island, where there are all sorts of souvenir shops clustered together, often one right next to another. There, I can go from store to store, checking out prices and deciding which ones are my favorite. Finally, I start buying them up, working from the cheapest shops to the most expensive to try and save a little. Sure, it might sound like work to some, but for me, it's some of the most fun I can have. Also, when I travel and find the magnets on my own, it makes writing these posts much easier. Instead of researching places and events on the Internet or in books or asking people who are more familiar with them than I to tell me their experiences, I can just type up what I've learned. And sometimes, I can gather some unusual experiences and stories in my travels that are worth mentioning up here. I've traveled a little this year, but any big trips I'm taking are still ahead of me, so I have them to look forward to. And, of course, I'll be trying to go to places I have very few or no magnets from so I can add plenty more to my collection. Maybe I'll even find some spots that have lots of souvenir shops in the same area. That would be great! I'm definitely looking forward to getting some more magnets to put up here in the coming months. Whether friends and family pick them up for me, I trade for them with other collectors, or I find them myself, I'm always happy to get another magnet. Not only do I get that collector's rush, it also means I have one more I can post up here. And, yes, I still have plenty more left - getting to 300 won't be tough. It seems no matter how many I can get up here, even more still manage to find their way into my kitchen. In fact, just the other day, I got a package of Washington D.C. magnets from some of my parents' friends, who'd kept me in mind while they were on a vacation. That was great! I don't know if there's anything better than finding magnets in the mail (for me, at least). Well, here's to the next round of hundred magnets and to even more magnetic fun!

2 comments:

  1. Happy 200th to you! I enjoy reading your blog. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - you keep reading them, I'll keep writing them.

    ReplyDelete