Thursday, December 31, 2009

An End to the Decade

Magnet # 130: Times Square, New York City

Material: Wood, Laminated Paper

Purchased By: Dad

There are just a few hours left in the aughts (if that's what we're calling them) in the United States, and all around the world, people are celebrating the arrival of 2010. Here, we tend to celebrate with fireworks and parties of friends staying up until midnight. Some churches host Watch Night festivities that continue to midnight and beyond, when their faithful gather to give thanks for the past and pray for a blessed new year. And then, of course, there's the annual dropping of the Waterford crystal ball at Times Square.

Add that famous ball and enough revelers so that you couldn't see the pavement and this magnet might be a somewhat accurate representation of what is going on tonight in New York City. I just can't imagine the chaos that is going on there tonight (probably because I don't want to). I did see Times Square a couple of times on my trip to the city back in January of 2000, and it really is as crowded and noisy as it's said to be. Back then, TRL was still airing on MTV, so a few of us went by, looked up at the windows, and saw Freddie Prinze, Jr, who was their guest for the day. We didn't stay long, but it was kinda fun to participate in what was a daily event at Times Square st the time. And there were some girls there who take that stuff pretty seriously. It was definitely worth seeing what Times Square is like, and at a less busy time of the year.

I admit, I have no plans tonight - and that's fine with me. I'm not very big into New Year's Eve celebrations. I think it's because it requires me to stay up until 12 when all I want to do is curl up on the couch in my pj's. I've tried various celebrations with friends over the years - hanging out, having dinner, going to a church party. My least favorite by far was going to downtown Savannah to hang out with the crowds for the local celebration. It was noisy, cold, and packed with people and all I wanted to do was run home and never come back. And I haven't, to this day. Stuff like that great for some, but it isn't remotely fun for an introvert like me. So I intend to have New Year's Eve my own way this year - Chinese takeout, turning on the countdown, and waking up when all the noise for the New Year erupts. I guess that's pretty boring, but it sounds good to me. Plus, there's the added benefit of not being on the roads with possibly drunk drivers. As many of you know, they make this is one of the most dangerous driving night of the year. Luckily, the police are aware of this and, in many places, take extra measures to catch them behind the wheel.

So I wish you all a happy and safe New Year's Eve. I guess it's time to finish up whatever is left on your plate, if anything! I'm looking forward to more traveling in 2010, the return of a few of my favorite TV shows, and, of course, getting new magnets, amongst other things. And I hope, as many do, that in this coming year, our worldwide financial situation will improve. Enjoy your celebrations tonight, whatever they may be, and I'll see ya back here next year!

4 comments:

  1. Hope you have a happy New Year! Elizabeth and I are right there with you just staying home and watching the countdown.

    We were offered invites to a few parties, but most were all the way across town, meaning an hour drive back on busy interstates late at night.

    Someday we do want to go to Time Square on New Years Eve, just to experience it once in our lives. We actually considered it last year, but a quick review of hotel prices persuaded us not to.

    Looking forward to next year's stories. And do hope for future adventures as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you opted for the safer choice and hope you make it up there someday. More adventures sounds like fun, and I hope to meet Elizabeth sometime. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe... another minor note for anyone interested in such mundane trivia: We didn't actually end the decade as your title might indicate. Since the Gregorian Calendar has no year 0 (it jumps from 1 BC to 1 AD), the first decade was 1-10, the second 11-20, etc.

    Of course I had someone point this very thing out to me this morning, having forgotten it myself.

    Lucky me, I found a snappy comeback: There is an international dating standard that does have a year 0, so if someone tells you its not a new decade after all, just let them know you are using ISO 8601 notation, which fixes that pesky year zero problem. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That and the fact that pretty much the entire news media was dubbing this as the end of the decade. Interesting fact, but every ten years, a new decade begins - it's a pretty simple concept, even if it was flawed at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete