Friday, November 27, 2009

Ready, Set, Shop

Magnet # 103:  Running Pictograph

Material:  Plastic

Purchased By:  N/A - given to me, free

Well, now that Thanksgiving has passed, the Christmas season is upon us, and it's officially kicking off today with Black Friday.  The name for this day originated in Philadelphia in the 1960s, where police officers and bus drivers, sick of the mobs of crowds that flooded downtown stores on this day, creating all sorts of traffic nightmares, dubbed it this as a disparagement.  It really began to catch on in the the 1970s, and eventually, retailers wanted to put a positive spin on the day that brought in so many customers and put a new spin on the name.  They said during the rest of the year, their sales were in the red, or negative, terms, but on Black Friday, they were able to get profits, and use black ink on receipts to report their earnings.  This positive use of the term surfaced around 1981, when retailers were beginning to realize the importance of the day and offering enticing specials to draw in customers.  Nowadays, in some places the day has almost gone out of control, with mobs causing injuries and sometimes even death, as they swarm into retailers.  But even that hasn't dampened the popularity of this day.  Just last night, local stations all over the country were reporting on people lined outside of countless retail stores, most to buy, but some just for bragging rights.

While I tend to go out and shop on Black Friday, I have never camped out in front of a store, or even gotten there before opening.  I just don't think it's worth it.  But there are plenty of special deals that are worth going by stores to get, even if they are a little crowded.  I usually wait until today to buy some DVD seasons of my favorite TV shows, because the price can drop pretty low, especially on the ones that have just been released in September.  Having checked out some prices online, it looks like I might be able to get some good deals tomorrow.  Some hit DVDs are even down to two bucks - not bad.  I may go by Best Buy and Target to see what I can find - I've gotten some good deals there on this day before.  And I don't think I've ever had to wait in a really long line.

As far as this magnet goes, I was over at a friend's for a party and, as I often do, droned on all about my magnet collection to her daughter, Zoe.  She showed me her pretty cool collection of bottle caps, and a couple of magnets she had.  Before I left, she gave me this one, which was so sweet of her.  She even has her own blog, although the name escapes me. But thanks again, Zoe- you're the best!  

Well, I hope you all take advantage of some of the great offers that are out there today.  And, if you've never tried shopping on Black Friday, it might not be as bad as you think.  Even if you don't want to leave the house, there are plenty of online specials.  One thing's for sure - it's better to shop for Christmas now than to wait until the last minute.  So go out there and give the economy a boost - it's the American way (or so they say).  Now, excuse me while I shop...

No comments:

Post a Comment