Saturday, October 17, 2009

One Sweet Idea

Magnet # 66: Lindsay Archer's Forbidden Love

Material: Plastic

Purchased By: N/A - given to me, free

When I visited my friend Lindsay this past weekend, I raided her fridge without ever opening the door. She's actually an extremely talented fantasy artist and had an assortment of magnets featuring her work that she was happy to pass onto the cause. She even let me rummage through her scrapbook paper so I could take some to use in my photo backgrounds as well. She is just awesome! I was so pleased to find this magnet - I knew Sweetest Day was coming but I didn't have any romantic couple magnets. But this one fits perfectly. It depicts a young human man and a female fairy who have fallen in love, but they are worlds apart and they know their families will not approve, so they have met in a secret embrace. Star-crossed, doomed lovers are a time-honored subject in art. Characters like Paolo and Francesca, Tristan and Iseult, and Romeo and Juliet have been depicted in countless forms over the years and Lindsay has done an admirable job giving a modern look to this long standing tradition. For this image, she's followed the style of Arthur Rackham, a very influential fairy artist of the 1920s. It's one of my favorite images by Lindsay. But I have a lot of favorites when it comes to her work. You can see why at http://www.lindsayarcher.com/.

As I mentioned, today is Sweetest Day. Which begs the question: what the heck is Sweetest Day? Well, it's mainly celebrated in the Midwestern States and it's a day when people give the ones they love sweet presents like candy, cards, and flowers. So it's kind of a Valentine's Day in October. Apparently, it was created by Herbert Birch Kingston in Cleveland, Ohio in 1921 when a council of twelve confectioners convened and amassed 20,000 boxes of candy which were given out to the elderly, poor, shut-ins, and orphans in the area. Kingston wanted these people to remember they, too, were cared about. It was both a nice gesture and a great PR move. In the years since, the observance was moved to the third Saturday in October and candy manufactures have tried to boost it to the level of holidays like Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, and Father's Day, but it has never really caught on in many areas of the United States. I've definitely never celebrated this holiday. I guess I'd pretty much written it off as another ploy by card and candy companies, but I'm glad to know its origins are more philanthropical than that.

So Happy Sweetest Day, everyone! If you're inspired, stop by Hallmark and pick up a card or two for the ones you love. And they need not be a romantic love of yours - unlike Valentine's Day this day is intended for everyone you love, family and friends alike. Or perhaps, in keeping to the true spirit of the day, give something nice to someone in need. With our current economic woes, it shouldn't be too tough to find a deserving party. Of course, if you just wait a couple of weeks, you can simply buy the candy and stay home while the masses come to you. But that's another holiday entirely...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nod my direction :) I'm glad to have sweet friends like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here - and thanks for the additions to my collection.

    ReplyDelete