Thursday, October 1, 2009

One of a Kind

Magnet # 51:  Nigerian Map

Material:  Leather

Purchased By:  Dad

Today is the anniversary of the day Nigeria gained its independence from England in 1960.  They had been a protectorate of that nation for over 59 years.  Citizens of the country will be wearing green and white, the country's colors, and engaging in traditional activities like parades and performances.  Major U.S. cities like New York City will also host celebrations for the event.

My Dad bought this when he was in Nigeria on business.  I think it was the toughest time he's ever had finding a magnet.  He said the shops he could find were mainly filled with used books, so he was pretty pleased when he saw this one, even if it was a keychain at the time.  However, it was easy for me to convert into a magnet, given that the strap was made of leather.  I think if you didn't know better, you'd assume it was always a magnet.

While this isn't exactly the most attractive magnet in my collection, it really is special to me.  Nigeria isn't a big tourist destination, so souvenirs from the country are somewhat rare.  I also like the fact that it's handmade.  I realize that magnets are mass produced and that I can potentially find nearly any magnet I own for sale or in somebody else's collection on the Internet.  And it's even a little fun having the same magnets as other collectors.  But I don't think that will happen with this one.  It's just too unique.  And as far as I'm concerned, with magnets, unique is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment