Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Goodnight, Sweetheart

Magnet # 69:  Chinese Girl with Panda Teddy Bear

Material: Clay

Purchased By: Mom & Dad

For my birthday this year, I got a really cute set of six magnets featuring Asian children in traditional costumes. This one is the smallest of the bunch - she is so adorable! And looking at her, I can't help but be reminded two things:  that cute song "Goodnight Sweetheart" from the film Three Men and a Baby and of one of my more recent Halloween costumes.

Back when I was still in college, I had a couple of Halloween parties to attend with pretty much the same group of people. I decided to spend money on one costume and figure out what I already had on hand that I could use for a second one. I ended up focusing on my favorite pair of red pajamas with green stars. They're comfy, fleecy, and are full coverage. I put my hair up in pigtails with bows, painted freckles on my face, borrowed a teddy bear, and finished the outfit off with a pair of mouse slippers my Dad's Mom had bought for me awhile back. I told everyone I was a kid waiting up for Santa on Christmas Eve. It was a hit at the party. I still have a pic one of my classmates took of me that night (and no, I'm not posting it here). Sure, some girls had on sexier stuff like bustiers, but I figured I was alot more comfortable and warmer in my costume. And, hey, I got to wear pajamas in public - how fun!

Considering the current state of the economy, thrifty is in. So have a look at your closet and see if there's anything you can utilize for a completely unique costume. And maybe, just as I did, you'll want to wear it every year after this one!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'm always interested in ways to save money, but have a good time. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete