Thursday, October 15, 2009

Come on, Get Crabby

Magnet # 64: Maxine "Have a Nice Day"

Material: Paper

Purchased By: Me

Today is National Grouch Day, a time set aside to not celebrate when it's okay to be grumpy, stay home, and spread your pessimism to anyone who's in a good mood.  It was created by Sesame Street Magazine to recognize grouchy figures around the world, particularly its own character, perhaps the world's most famous grouch, Oscar the Grouch.

While I don't have a magnet of Oscar, I thought this one of Maxine would fill in nicely. She's presented as more crabby than grouchy, but I think those two qualities are enough alike. If you've never heard of her before, Maxine is a crotchety senior citizen who pulls no punches and tells it like it is. She was created by Jack Wagner and debuted at Hallmark back in 1986 as part of their line of Shoebox cards. It's hard to believe, old as she seems, that she's technically just twenty-three. Maxine and her companion Floyd the dog have grown immensely in popularity and now she is not just available in greeting cards, she also appears in other products such as ornaments, books, and magnets like this one. Actually, this was a pretty cool deal - it was a magnet stuck to a greeting card I picked up at Hallmark a few years ago. There were three different designs and I bought one card for myself and another for my Dad's Mom, who is pretty fond of Maxine herself. I think it would be great if they made more cards with magnets on the front. Well, I'd certainly buy them. But I have to be careful with this one - it's just paper with no covering. So if it gets a stain, I won't be able to clean it off. Luckily, I seem to have found a safe spot for it on my fridge.

So just why do people love Maxine so much? I mean, when you get down to it, she can be quite rude. Maybe they like her because she tells it like it is. Perhaps it's because they've never thought of something the way she says it and it makes them laugh. I guess there are a host of reasons why. But I think Maxine had to be portrayed as old to be quite so difficult. For some reason, it's kinda funny when older folks vent and rant about the world. They've lived longer than most and have almost earned the right to do so. I don't think people would take to Maxine as they have if she were drawn looking as though she were twenty-three years old.

So take after Maxine and Oscar and release your inner grouch today.  It's the one time you're going to have a good excuse.  You can get inspiration by checking out Maxine's own blog, http://www.hotflashcentral.blogspot.com/ - I love that she has a blog!  Once you're good and ready, release your inner grouch.  And if anyone has the nerve to try and cheer you up, let 'em have it!

2 comments:

  1. It is a gray day here and now I know it is okay to grouch about it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure - this is a good holiday to take advantage of.

    ReplyDelete