Friday, September 25, 2009

Moving on Up

Magnet # 45:  Phoenix Hot-Air Balloon

Material:  Clay

Purchased By:  Mom & Dad

My parents bought this Clay Critters magnet to commemorate the hot-air balloon ride they took during a trip out West in 2005.  They had a lot of fun.  I thought it would be appropriate to post today, considering Phoenix's fictional television psychic, Allison DuBois, is moving on up to another network, CBS.  Yep, the season premiere of Medium is tonight after Ghost Whisperer.

Earlier this year, I was pretty nervous.  Two of my favorite television shows, Medium and Chuck, had not yet been renewed by NBC.  And time was running out.  Fortunately, in regards to Medium, the first news I heard was that CBS had added the show to its lineup after NBC cancelled it, not just that NBC axed the show.  CBS, which produces the show, grabbed it up, and even had a few scathing remarks for NBC.  They knew it would be an ideal match for Ghost Whisperer, a supernatural crime show and rare Friday hit that had yet to be paired up with the right partner.  I was really happy, considering that NBC usually waits until January to premiere Medium.  Now, I was going to be able to see new episodes of Medium in September - yay!  And then I found out that NBC had dumped Chuck in January and cut its season almost in half to 13 episodes.  Well, at least it wasn't cancelled.

Medium follows the life of Allison DuBois, a loving wife and mother who also has all sorts of visions of the dead and premonitions of events yet to come.  This ability has landed her a job with Phoenix's District Attorney, and she most often helps him solve a murder each week.  The show also features her three young daughters, all of which are developing psychic abilities of their own.  What I like best about this show is the twists they throw in.  I have a bad habit of figuring out what is going to happen in movies and television.  Although I often can see where this one is going, on occasion I can be surprised, which I really enjoy.  Okay, so there might be a plot hole or two, but I don't dwell on those.  Also, the characters on this show are very likeable.  I'm pretty fond of Allison's husband, Joe, who's portrayed by Jake Weber - for once, he gets to play a nice guy.  Allison herself is based on the real Allison DuBois, a self-proclaimed medium who is an Arizona native with a history of helping law agencies solve crimes across the nation.  And if you like to watch middle-aged heroines as previously mentioned, she's just over forty.  I'm so glad CBS has chosen to give this great show another chance - hope it has another five good seasons left!

No comments:

Post a Comment