Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Light Up the Darkness


Magnet # 43:  Meredith Dillman's Hanging Fairy Lights

Material:  Metal, Paper, Mylar Shell

Purchased By:  Me

I've been fond of Meredith Dillman's beautiful fantasy artwork for years now, so I was really excited when I read in her blog that she'd be attending Dragon*Con this year.  It's usually not a show she goes to in person.  A few weeks before the event, I contacted her and requested that she hold some of her magnets for me.  I'm so glad I did - she told me that she hadn't been planning on bringing any.

For the first time ever, I was actually able to approach a favorite artist of mine on the first try. Usually,  I'll walk by a booth nervously two or three times before I can summon up the courage to head over and introduce myself.  Being able to walk up and say I was the one who contacted her about the magnets is what did it.  Most of the time, I don't know where to start.  And Meredith had a whole stack of lovely magnets waiting for me.  I also bought a pin to turn into a magnet.  She was nice, even though I didn't say much.  And her prices were so reasonable, even generous!  I went back to see her on Monday, and bought something bigger, but I'll say more about that later.  Between what I bought at her booth and another one, I have ten magnets by Meredith.  So her stunning work will be appearing on here plenty, and I'd best not say everything I can about her and her art in this post.

Meredith's mastery of ink and watercolor are two characteristics that define her work, and both are featured in this image.  She paints a decent amount of fairies, and this image is a good representation of her work.  If you'd like to see more, try her site at http://www.meredithdillman.com/.  Or you can just check back here to see more of my favorites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment