Tuesday, September 1, 2009

It's a Mad, Mad World



Magnet # 25:  Minnesota Photo Montage

Material:  Metal, Paper, Mylar Shell

Purchased by:  The Kibby Family

My Mom's sister and her family got this one for me during their vacation this summer.  I have never been to Minnesota, but am interested in seeing the Mall of America.  I may have to someday - they assured me it was pretty fantastic.

Well, tonight, the first episode of Minnesota resident Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods spin-off Bizarre World airs on Travel Channel.  I will definitely be watching - Zimmern is a favorite of mine.  He is just such a likeable, fun guy.  Watching him, I want to give him a big bear hug.  That said, I would appreciate it if he didn't strip down to his skivvies so much.  If he insists upon doing so, it might not be a bad idea for him to try to shape up a bit.  That's just my opinion - and I'm probably not alone.  But having seen previews for this series, I don't think I'm going to get my wish.

While I remember hearing that Zimmern is from Minnesota, it didn't really sink in until another resident of the state commented on him.  I was talking about how much I enjoy watching him on Bizarre Foods and she was surprised to hear the show was up and running.  She had been a fan of his newspaper column there, but unfortunately can't follow his Bizarre travels because she doesn't get Travel Channel.  So I looked it up and found out that while Zimmern was born and raised in New York City, Minnesota was where he made a name for himself in the food world.  For five years, he was executive chef of Cafe Un Deux Trios in Minneapolis, earning a host of accolades for his menus.  He then moved onto local newspapers, radio, and television, gaining more respect and notoriety until the Travel Channel signed him on.

Tonight's episode is set in Cuba, a place I didn't even think had magnets until I saw them on Russian magnet blogs.  I guess they're able to vacation there and buy souvenirs.  I admit, I'm curious to find out about the bizarre goings-on in this country.  And maybe people like my parents, who refused to watch Bizarre Foods because of the gross factor, will finally give this terrific host a chance on this new series.  They should not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment