Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Boys Are Back in Town

Magnet # 33:  Classic Car on Route 66

Material: Rubber

Purchased by:  Me

Okay, I'm pretty excited about tonight.  It's the season premiere of one of my favorite shows, Supernatural.  It chronicles the travels of brothers Dean and Sam Winchester as they drive around the nation, fighting supernatural evils.  They've taken on demons, vampires, shapeshifters, witches, and all manner of creatures that go bump in the night.  And this season, they go up against the big bad himself:  Satan.  Yep, Sam unknowingly released him in last season's finale.  This should be interesting.

Series creator Eric Kripke remarked in an Entertainment Weekly interview last year that this could be the show's last season.  While I appreciate his desire to not let the show loose its momentum and run on fumes as some shows do, I really hope it has a couple of good seasons left.  To loose Monk, Lost, and Supernatural all in the same season would be pretty tough for me.

I looked all over Dragon*Con for official Lost and Supernatural magnets.  You know, ones with a cast photo or logo with a mylar covering.  While I found ones from Buffy and Lord of the Rings, for some reason, there was darn little from movies and shows that are currently popular - or rather, nothing.  And patches seemed to be ubiquitous, while magnets were a little tougher to find.  But, oddly enough, I found this magnet at a drugstore in Atlanta.  Considering Route 66 is nowhere near Georgia, I was a little baffled.  But that didn't stop me from buying it.  And once I did, I couldn't help but think of a comic book series I once saw on the stands:  Route 666.  I thought its name was a pretty awesome twist.  If it hadn't been taken, I think it would have been a perfect name for Supernatural.  Think about it - two guys in a classic car - Dean's 1967 Chevrolet Impala - driving all over the county, no doubt on Route 66 for part of the time, fighting all sorts of demonic evil.  Yep, it's a perfect fit.  Oh well, I'm still good with the name Supernatural.  Now is it nine o'clock already?

No comments:

Post a Comment