Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back From the Con


Magnet # 31:  Dragon*Con Logo

Material:  Rubber

Purchased By:  Me

So did I attend any of those great Labor Day activities I mentioned in a previous post?  Well, no - I headed up to Atlanta to have a blast at Dragon*Con, one of the biggest conventions anywhere!  It encompasses all sorts of genres, but its main focus is on Sci-Fi and Fantasy.  There are media stars like William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, panels on just about anything you can think of, rooms that play movies nonstop, and gaming that can go on all weekend.  Their website is http://www.dragoncon.org/.

My main focus at the Con is artwork.  There are all sorts of talented artists in attendance and it's so fun to meet them and see their amazing works.  Of course, a lot of times I chicken out and take off without saying a word - I'm a little shy.  Might be hard to believe from this blog, eh?

I've been going to the Con off and on for the past ten years, so I've gotten to know a group of folks I try to meet up with.  I had lunch with a friend from back home who manages my favorite comic shop.  Then I met up with some new artist friends I've met at an art retreat I've gone to a couple times.  One gal told me that since she saw me back in July and I showed her some of my magnets, she's bought more magnets than she bought in the last three years.  Yay - I'm infectious!  Plus, I saw three really awesome artists that I've gotten to know over the past few years.  I'm really hoping to hang out with one of them in the next couple of months - it had been awhile since I'd last seen her.  And I met some really nice, very talented artists, who were very cool and encouraging to me.  Getting to hang out with that many creative people in that short an amount of time is almost mind boggling, but I love every minute of it!

I'll bet you're wondering if I bought any magnets.  Oh yes - in fact, the entire pop culture section of my fridge is going to need an overhaul.  I'm looking forward to it.  In addition to the magnets I bought, there are stickers and pins that are going to be converted into magnets.  And, for part of the month, I'll be posting the magnets of some of the talented artists with whom I visited.  I hope you all enjoy their work as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment