Sunday, August 16, 2009

Rain, Rain Go Away



Magnet # 11:  Sites of Seattle

Material:  Resin

Purchased by:  Chris

Did ya hear?  Seattle, Wa has been magically transported to Savannah, Ga.  Well, maybe not.  But the rain we've been having this summer is making me wonder if we aren't giving the Emerald City a run for its money, precipitation wise.

Yes, I know some areas of the country are experiencing a drought.  Trust me, we'd be happy to share.  I think we've had rain more days this summer than not.  And this is not a pleasant sprinkle or gentle drizzle.  These storms are causing floods, downed trees, and automobile accidents on a daily basis.  Heck, it's started pouring as I've written this post.  I'm just glad I'm not behind the wheel.  Driving in this has been a challenge. 

Of course, it's been interesting to see the results of these downpours when it's not raining.  The marshes here are so green, you'd think somebody dyed them with the St. Patty's Day Ink they use in the fountains.  I didn't even know marshes could be green!  Plus, nobody's bothering to water their lawns.  I guess there can be upsides.

As far as this magnet goes, it's a pretty good smorgasbord of all things Seattle.  There's a ferry in front, the Space Needle behind it, along with the buildings of downtown Seattle, and Mt. Rainier is in the background.  A former co-worker from Seattle bought it for me after I told him about my collection.  I swear I was not soliciting a magnet.  Back then, my collection just consisted of what my folks and I and a few friends and family members had gotten.  Of course, after this, the floodgates opened.  Now, whenever I hear somebody is going somewhere from which I don't have a magnet, I become a shameless beggar.  As long as it works, I'm okay with that.

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, Hope the rain stops soon. Saw Julia and Julie tonight and thought of you.
    JTP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - of course, now there are hurricanes forming in the Atlantic. The rain may never end!

    ReplyDelete