Thursday, August 6, 2009

My Own Teeny Santorini


Magnet # 5:  Santorini Map

Material:  Resin

Purchased by:  Mom & Dad

The majority of my magnet collection comes from my folks.  They do a fair amount of traveling, both for business and pleasure.  This was bought during their Greek vacation in 2007 (I think).

I admit, I didn't know much about the Island of Santorini until it was time to type this up.  Thanks to Wikipedia, I now know that the shape of the island - depicted on this magnet - was formed by an insanely powerful volcanic eruption thousands of years ago.  What was once a single landmass is now split apart in this formation.  It's a caldera, or a circular mass produced by a volcanic eruption.  So all of Santorini is surrounding a dormant volcano.  That's a little unnerving.

What struck me as most interesting about modern Santorini is that they don't have any reliable sources of water.  Almost hard to believe, looking at this magnet.  But they have no rivers and few springs.  They had to rely on rainwater and imports from the Greek mainland.  Apparently, they have now created a desalination plant to make use of ocean water and provide themselves with more water, albeit non-potable.

It's fun using magnets to learn about other cultures.  Doing so makes them even more enjoyable to own.

No comments:

Post a Comment