Monday, August 31, 2009

It's a Kind of Magic


Magnet # 24:  Downtown Birmingham Photo

Material:  Metal, Paper, Mylar Shell

Purchased By:  Me

So Birmingham is called the Magic City?  I never knew that.  Considering how many times I've visited it over the years, I'm a little surprised.  Apparently, it's due to the ridiculously fast growth of the city back in the mid-twentieth century.  Back then, it was primarily a steel and iron manufacturing city, which earned it another nickname:  "Pittsburgh of the South."  Nowadays, it's been cleaned up and has taken on other industries such as banking, medicine, and insurance.  It's also the largest city in Alabama.

I spent my birthday up in Birmingham this month.  It was a nice day - shopping was done, magnets were purchased, including this one.  And terrific sushi was eaten.  I eat sushi about once a week, and one of the best places I've found is actually a Thai restaurant called the Thai Emerald.  This is one place in Birmingham that may very well be magic.  It's owned by a Montgomery restaurateur named Lek.  He also owns two Thai restaurants in Montgomery with equally great menus and sushi.  As nice as they are, this place really is the crown jewel of his establishments.  There's so many beautiful Asian statues and reliefs, it's almost overwhelming.  The focal point is located on one wall.  There's a narrow pool filled with Koi and in one part, a statue of mermaid accompanied by a dolphin.  The wall was supposed to be a waterfall, but it's never seemed to work out - oh well.  It's still very impressive.  And we noticed a new structure - a bar covered by a bamboo roof.  Apparently, it's going to be a noodle bar - yum!  Interested? They have a website - http://www.thaiemeraldlek.com/.  If you get a chance to go and Lek's there, tell him I said hey.  And have a Super Crunch Roll for me.

Well, I've come to the end of my first month posting my magnets.  It's been fun.  I've managed to just skip seven days.  From the beginning, I said I was not aiming for a post every single day.  I salute those who can do that much work, but also realize I am not among them.  Aiming for over twenty a month sounds like a reasonable goal - maybe less in February.  Anyway, see ya next month - same place!

No comments:

Post a Comment