Friday, August 21, 2009

Hau'oli la hanau to You


Magnet # 15:  Hawaiian Plumeria

Material:  Resin

Purchased by:  Mom & Dad

Hau'oli la hanau, Hawaii!  It's your birthday!

Yep, back in 1959, on this very day, Hawaii became the USA's 50th, and currently, final state.  Which makes it the 50th state and this its 50th anniversary.  I'll bet there's some serious celebration going on down there today.

The bloom featured here is a plumeria, which although it is quite attractive and abundant in Hawaii, is not the state flower.  It must have been tough picking between all the beautiful flowers they have growing there.  Not that I have seen them myself - I've never been to Hawaii.  And I only have myself to blame.  My folks offered to take me along with them many years ago, but I opted to go visit my family in Texas instead.  Did I make the right decision?  To this day, I still don't know what I'd do if I had to choose again.  I mean, Hawaii is a gorgeous place.  But I do love to see all of my family in Texas.

Well, at least I have plenty of Hawaiian magnets.  My Dad goes there every year or so for work.  He's been there so often that on his recent trips I haven't asked him to buy any new magnets for me.  Of course, that may change on the next visit.  After all, I now need a steady supply of  magnets to keep this blog going (heh, heh - my master plan is revealed!).

2 comments:

  1. Did you know that Aunt Joan and Uncle Bob grow these in their backyard? They are lovely and smell heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool - I'll have to have a look next time I'm home.

    ReplyDelete