Saturday, August 29, 2009

Back to School Blues


Magnet # 22:  Adams Chapel School, Old Alabama Town Photo

Material:  Paper, Acrylic Cover

Purchased By:  Me

Kids here in Savannah had better enjoy this weekend.  It may be the last homework-free one they have for awhile.  Chatham County Public Schools start back on Tuesday, September 1.  I imagine quite a few kids are bummed about it.  Trust me, some adults are too.  I sure have enjoyed the break from school zones and bus stops during my daily commute.

So this magnet comes from Old Alabama Town, a carefully preserved and maintained six blocks of 19th and 20th century structures in Downtown Montgomery.  I remember visiting it when I was growing up.  It's a real slice-of-life experience.  There are homes ranging from expensive, stylish town homes to rustic, rural homes.  And it's not all residential buildings.  This school is there, and there's also a tavern, a church, a doctor's office, and a drugstore.  There are over 50 buildings in all, well-stocked with furnishings and trimmings from the period.  The Landmarks Foundation of Montgomery has certainly done a terrific job creating this historically accurate site.  Want to check them out?  Visit their website at http://www.oldalabamatown.com/.

I'm not sure if it was here, but I do recall touring some old school house as a child.  There, my Dad pointed out the ink wells and told me about how some rotten boys used to dip girl's long hair - particularly braids - into them, resulting in quite a mess for the poor victim.  Considering I had waist length hair at the time, I was awfully relieved ink wells were relics of the past.

Occasionally, since starting this page, I have felt like I'm back in school, writing papers.  That's not necessarily bad.  I sure preferred papers to tests and some projects.  When I'm doing a lot of research for some of these entries, I can't help but experience a sense of nostalgia over all of the hard work I used to put into term papers and whatnot.  At least I don't have to drag home lots of research books and cite references here.  And there's no grading system on Blogspot, thank goodness!  At least, I don't think there is...

4 comments:

  1. Old Alabama Town sounds like a great place to visit. I hope to take my kids there some day. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have fond memories of Old Alabama Town. Hope you can come back one day.

    Buffy (Marketing Director of Old Alabama Town)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably will - ya'll have a nice gift shop. Of the eight places I shopped in Downtown Montgomery, I only ended up buying magnets from you.

    ReplyDelete